Determining What Size Crushed Stone You Need For Your Project
Crushed stone is used for a wide variety of projects, from building roads to providing suitable drainage and from laying a base for pavers to enhancing the look of landscaping projects. There are so many uses for this versatile material, yet many people are unsure of what size they need when it comes to selecting the proper material for their project.
If you are baffled by the many options and are unsure of what size you need, we’re here to help. We’ve put together a listing of common uses for each size of stone so you can get a better idea of what each is commonly used for. We will also gladly discuss your project with you to provide you with recommendations about what types of materials and sizes are most appropriate to meet your needs.
For starters, it’s important to note some of the most common uses for this type of material in general, no matter what the size. Common uses include:
- Paver base gravel, brick, blocks or concrete in applications such as crushed stone or crushed rock patios, sidewalks and driveways
- Mixed with asphalt
- Landscaping – decorative and as base layer material
- Best rock for drainage
- Septic systems and dry wells
What exactly is this material, you may ask? Crushed stone is quarried and processed from a virgin natural source of volcanic extrusion igneous basalt, also known as trap rock.
When it comes to crushed stone and gravel sizes, you will find options that typically range from stone dust (screenings) to about 2 ½”. Here are the most commonly found crushed stone sizes and what you can use them for:
- Dust (screenings) – This is a 1/4″ minus material that can be used to fabricate concrete pavers or blocks or it can be used as a base for pavers or blocks. It is also used to make asphalt and is commonly used for walkways, bike paths and in horse arenas.
- 3/8” – This is commonly used to mix with asphalt. It is also used for walkways, drainage and in decorative uses for landscaping or on driveways.
- 5/8” – This is also commonly used to mix with asphalt or concrete. It is also used for drainage or as driveway gravel.
- 3/4” – There are two options at this size – clean and DGA. 3/4” clean is used for drainage behind walls and is also used as fill and for drainage projects, such as French drains. This common size is also used for many landscaping projects. 3/4” DGA or Q/P is used for road base, asphalt and as a base for concrete pavers. It is also a good base for interlocking walls and gabion walls.
- 1 ½” – This is commonly used as a base for roads, slabs, driveways, walkways, crushed stone patios, interlocking walls and is also used for drainage stone projects, septic systems and dry wells.
- 2 ½” – This is commonly used for larger construction jobs, such as for road base, tracking pads on job sites, and for use with drainage, septic systems and dry wells.
As you can see, each size of crushed stone has specific uses, so if you are unsure what you need, just ask!
For more information or help in determining what size of crushed stone you need for your project, contact us at 917-912-2900.
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.